[kaos@ocs.com.au] libc/1842: regcomp gives "Invalid Range end" errors on regex that used to work

regcomp seems to be broken in RedHat 7.0 beta.  Could somebody check
and fix this, please?

Andreas

Subject: Topics

Topics:
   libc/1842: regcomp gives "Invalid Range end" errors on regex that used to work

>Number:         1842
>Category:       libc
>Synopsis:       regcomp gives "Invalid Range end" errors on regex that used to work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
A user reported to me that running ksymoops 0.7c on Redhat 7.0beta broke with
"Invalid range end".  This code has been running fine on glibc 2.1.2 and earlier
but whichever regex is included in Redhat 7.0beta complains.  Not having a
7.0beta system to test on, I asked the user to localise the problem.  His latest
findings are:

---

>How-To-Repeat:
Install ksymoops 2.3.4 from ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/ksymoops/v2.3.
Run "date | ksymoops -KLMVO" against the latest glibc
>Fix:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
>kaos It certainly seems to be a regex problem.  Looks like I am going to
>kaos have to install Redhat 7.0 beta sooner than I wanted to.  Maybe I can
>kaos get away with just testing the regex code (should be part of glibc).
>kaos Which version of glibc is on the beta?
I have glibc v. 2.1.3

It looks like somebody really messed up something as simple [A-B]

even:

          "[A-B]"

will not compile.

but
          "[A-a]"   and "[0-A]"
will.
Nothing that both ends and begins in a capital letter seems to compile.

---

This is third hand so take the report with a pinch of salt.  I do not know if
his system is really running glibc 2.1.3 or something more recent, nor do I know
if RedHat changed anything in glibc for 7.0beta.  For the moment I am assuming
that regcomp changed in a recent glibc.

--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de