Question on when __pthread_lock second parameter shoudl be NULL

Hi Kaz,

Sorry to bother you but I am trying to tack down yet another bug with the cvs
glibc-2.1 branch of glibc 2.1.3 and the jdk native threads. I hope you can
answer a couple of questions:

1. when should __pthread_lock (in spnlock.c) second parameter be NULL vs self?

2. why does the __pthread_message DEBUG function not work anymore (always get
seg-fault in
  iovsprintf.c:line 47 when trying to access errno location).  This happens no
matter how I play
  with sprintf, vsprintf, etc

The JDK is returning with an error that indicates that the mutex is not being
held by the same thread as the caller of pthread_condvar_timedwait.  This should
not be happening and does not happen using ERRORCHECK mutexes.

The only differnences in mutex.c that show up are in pthread_mutex_lock where
__pthread_lock is called with NULL as the second parameter for the FAST_NP and
with self for the ERRORCHECK mutexes and I was wondering why?

I realize I am grasping at straws but any hints you might have would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin