Re: removing old 2.1 headers

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 10:57:18AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> writes:
>
> > I think the problem is: How to make sure that this files are really
> > from glibc 2.1.x ?
> > Somebody could have installed them from an extra package, because
> > glibc 2.2 does not provide them any longer, but he need them.
>
> That's true but normally the order of actions will be
>
>  	update glibc
> 	add now missing libraries
>
> So in theory I wouldn't have a problem but maybe we shouldn't do this
> unless these package managers complain if they find a file of the same
> name already being there.  How's this handled?

Well, AFAIK, the package managers (rpm/dpkg) will handle upgrades ok.
Obviously if you install glibc 2.2 manually over an rpm/dpkg installation
of glibc 2.1, the package manager isn't going to be happy about the
changes. If you rely on a package manager on your system, don't thwart it
when it comes to your system libs, unless you want to either continue to
manually take control of that part of your system, or you like your
package manager trashing your nice new libc installation on the next
upgrade.

IOW, if someone is worried about "what might happen" when they do this,
they probably shouldn't do this :)