Re: [RFC] IPC64 with glibc-2.2 and linux-2.4

> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:10:45 +0200
> From: Franz Sirl <Franz.Sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com>
> Cc: libc-alpha@sources.redhat.com, linuxppc-dev@lists.linuxppc.org

> Yeah, I know. But it's no problem for me to push this change into the
> kernel after some people (including you :-)) have agreed to the principle
> of the patch.

I too agree with the principle of the patch.  There's no reason to
limit this quantity to 16 bits.

> What about 'seq'? Can I safely bump it to 32bit for userspace in the final
> patch? I see no need for the kernel and userspace being different here, but
> all other archs are limiting it to 16bit, so there may be a reason...

I can't see any particular reason.

Did you test it?  There are four combinations to check:

new application/new kernel
old application/new kernel  (to test symbol versioning)
new application/old kernel  (test translation of old structure to new)
old application/old kernel  (this should Just Work if the above cases work)
			    (but of course you should still check it :-) )

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>