stricter Linux headers

Ulrich,
    I don't know if Geoff has talked to you about this issue
yet. On linuxppc (in the bitkeeper linuxppc_2_3 development
tree), Paul Mackerras, the ppc maintainer, has added very strict
#ifdef __KERNEL__/#endif /* __KERNEL__ */ wrappers around all
of our asm-ppc linux headers. The aim is to enforce the consensus
that linux kernel headers should not be used in userland. I have
been building the Redhat 7.0 srpms against these headers and they
actually create very few problems. One of these however is in
linux/cdrom.h which includes asm/byteorder.h. I believe Paul and
Geoff are of the opinion that we should create a sys/cdrom.h
header in glibc to correct this situation. Do you think this is doable
(Geoff is supposed to be preparing the header I think) in
the time frame for glibc 2.2?
    Actually considering how firmly folks here on libc-alpha are
against fixing any conflicts between Linux and glibc headers in
glibc itself, I am puzzled why no other platforms have attempted
to restrict their kernel headers more in Linux 2.4. Now would
certainly seem to be the time to address this issue and try to
clean up the situation a bit. Anyway, I would be curious to hear
how other platforms are dealing with this situation.
                              Jack