Re: upgrade problem

On Thu, Nov 09, Frederic Lepied wrote:

> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>

> > > It's a good proposition but it doesn't work because the old glibc
> > > doesn't use this scheme and will load the libnss_foo.so.2 which points
> > > to the new one...
> > >
> > > That said, it can be done for the future...
> >
> > Exactly...
>
> So we have to change the sonames to be able to handle the upgrade...

Seems you really don't know that there are applications linked against
libnss_* modules (Why do you think do we have /usr/lib/libnss_*.so files ?).
What is the problem to update the glibc in single user mode or to reboot
after an update ? It is the only save way to do it. Changing the soname
will make your distribution incompatible to all other.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg