Re: Workaround for current gcc problem

> Finally, in this particular case, we're hoping that to implement the
> right logic in GCC's string builtins so that we don't have to use the
> giant macros in glibc.

This is no excuse for the compiler being broken.  From what I've seen
every more than average complicated expression is causing problems.
Also, even if gcc would get the full functionality of the macros there
are still old versions of the library and headers out there and people
will have the problems.