Re: A patch to add --with-oldest-abi=ABI. [Re: A patch to add --disable-old-version.]

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 08:30:26AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com> writes:
>
> > Based on Roland suggestion, I withdraw the --disable-old-version patch.
> > Here is the patch to add --with-oldest-abi=ABI.
>
> This cannot be done this way.  You are once again creating an
> incompatible library.  The version information for functions gets
> completely dropped.  Take chown().  There used to be a GLIBC_2.0 and a
> GLIBC_2.1 version.  I.e., newly linked applications reference
> chown@GLIBC_2.1.  Now there is no version information at all.  A newly
> created application references chown (no version information) which on
> a system with the full libc call chown@GLIBC_2.0.
>
> This is repeated for a lot of symbols.  Why don't you test what you
> propose for these kind of problems?
>
> Also, there are lots of symbols not caught at all (getrlimit to name
> only one).

I agree. For this to be worthwhile, it needs to support dropping the older
interfaces, as opposed to being restrictive to just "the latest". Like if
there is a 2.0 and 2.1 version (but no 2.2) for a symbol, just drop the 2.0,
and keep the 2.1.

That's about the only way it will work.