Re: [patch] manual/conf.texi, sync _POSIX_PATH_MAX with header value

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 07:40:24PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

>  @comment POSIX.1
>  @item _POSIX_PATH_MAX
>  The most restrictive limit permitted by POSIX for the maximum number of
> -bytes in a file name.  The value of this constant is @code{255}.
> +bytes in a file name.  POSIX defines this to be no less than 255.  In
> +the GNU C library, the value of this constant is @code{256}.

What prompted this patch was a bug report from me complaining that POSIX
(or at least, SUS2) requires that _POSIX_PATH_MAX be exactly 255.  The
relevant ChangeLog entry that Ben dug out was:

| 2000-04-30  Andreas Jaeger  <aj@suse.de>
|
|         * posix/bits/posix1_lim.h (_POSIX_PATH_MAX): Increase to 256 in
|           accordance with Austin Draft.

which seems to indicate that this has been done in order to conform to
an upcoming version of the standard, which isn't what the above patch
says.  I'm somewhat mystified as to why such a change would be made,
though.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/