Re: Try to solve shared libgcc and glibc

> From: James Antill <james@and.org>
> Date: 24 Mar 2001 14:56:06 -0500

>  One problem I see, is that people currently don't expect there to be
> an interoperability problem if they upgrade gcc.
>  So for instance someone upgrades gcc to gcc-3.1, then create
> rpms for packages. Then even though everything else is the same, if
> others only have gcc-3.0 and stuff got added to libgcc then the rpms
> won't work (and I can guarantee that 99% of people won't realize that
> they need to start putting binary dependencies against libgcc, as they
> do now with libc).

RPM will automatically detect the new binary dependency.  I agree that
people may be surprised that because they upgraded their compiler now
all their customers must upgrade their libgcc, but at least they won't
have to upgrade their libc (the difference being that the libgcc
package will be about 50k and libc is about 5M).

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>