Re: glibc 2.2.3 problems when compiling on RH 7.1

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 05:27:17PM -0400, Byron Stanoszek wrote:
> > > It is very tricky to install your own glibc on RedHat 7.1 since
> > > it may have /lib/i686. You have to know what you are doing to
> > > upgrade glibc on it.
> >
> > Which is exactly why I tell everybody for ages not to compile glibc
> > themselves.  It requires far more knowledge then the average installer
> > has and cannot be automated completely.  Simply go with the updates
> > for the distribution.
>
> Heh. Well, I've installed glibc manually since 2.0.6 on many Linux
> installations (RedHat or otherwise) and this was the first time the install
> really failed for me. I believe that's mainly because RedHat included a beta
> version of 2.2.3 that had the extra symbol defined that is now not defined
> anymore, and several libraries were compiled using that symbol. So I suppose my

Except there are no such symbols. All @@GLIBC_2.2.3 in glibc-2.2.2-10 are
present in current CVS glibc as well (but not vice versa, as it is glibc
2.2.2, some changes like fnmatch had to be backed out, so that programs
don't accidentally link against GLIBC_2.2.3 symbols - the only symbols left
@@GLIBC_2.2.3 are those use internally accross glibc libraries or
pthread_getattr_np).
But installing a newer glibc while leaving older one in /lib/i686 is simply
asking for trouble, e.g. if you're linking a program using fnmatch, it will
link against fnmatch@@GLIBC_2.2.3, but the program will then fail, since it
will likely use /lib/i686/libc.so.6 which doesn't have it.

	Jakub