Re: fde-glibc.c bug

HJ> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:34:19PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> Whether you like it or not, the distributions are going to ship gcc3
>> on the ia64 and we will need glibc to work with it.

HJ> gcc 3.0.1 cannot be used ASIS for glibc. I have been working on
HJ> that.  It looks changes to both gcc and glibc may be required. I can
HJ> provide patches once we find a solution which is acceptable to
HJ> everyone. It is not a trivial thing. To make it even more
HJ> frustrating, most gcc developers don't realize there are several
HJ> serious issuses with the currrent gcc 3.0.1.

Sounds like a good place to start. I am not stating that we should just
accept things as they are, but at least we need to work on the problem
and get it resolved.

At least for Linux/ia64 it is going to solve a lot of problems long term
if we can switch to gcc-3 before the real launch. Even if it doesn't get
integrated into the official gcc-3 tree straight away.

Jes