Re: GLIBC & GCC

"Tom Browder" <tbrowder@home.com> writes:

> As one who relies heavily upon GCC and GLIBC, can I please
> have a quick summary of the developers' recommendations of
> what versions of each are the latest that are fully
> compatible
> with the other?

Depends how you define compatible: You can use any glibc version
together with any GCC release - but you should not recompile glibc
with some GCC releases.

GCC 3.0 cannot compile any glibc release.  GCC 2.95.x need extra
patches for any glibc 2.2 release.  GCC 2.95.x should be fine for
glibc 2.1 or older.

If you just want to update GCC, go ahead - but if you want to update
GLIBC, wait for a fixed releases of GCC and glibc first.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de