Re: PATCH: Share the dwarf2 unwind code between glibc and gcc 3.0

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 02:29:50PM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 01:39:35PM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> > That means everyone has to run the glibc compiled with the compatible gcc.
>
> Yes.

That is a new requirement. I don't know it will work for everyone.

> > Maybe, we can keep a copy in glibc as a fallback when dlopen libgcc_s fails.
>
> Um, that doesn't solve the problem at all.  It merely moves
> where the problem ocurrs.  Which is IMO pointless.

I disagree. We just need a way to check at the run time if a
particular unwinder implementation has the features the binary
needs. I assume when you add a new feature to libgcc_s, you will
make sure the binary which neeeds the new feature will fail to run
against the older version of libgcc_s. There are many ways to do it.
We just need to find an approach which will work for libgcc_s as
well as libc.so.

H.J.