Re: performance in sysdeps/powerpc/memset.S

> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:33:37 +0200
> From: Olaf Hering <olh@suse.de>

> there are some problems with current sysdeps/powerpc/memset.S.
> It prevents booting a POWER3 machine, and it also slows down memset().

Can you analyze the booting problem further?  I suspect the difficulty
is due to the use of the dcbz instruction.  Perhaps rewriting the
routine to not use this instruction would help.

When I originally wrote this routine it provided about a 50% speedup
on my 601.  It's possible there are changes that would make it
go faster on newer machines and keep its speed on older ones.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>