Re: questions about makefiles

David Byron <dbyron@coactive.com> writes:

|> I've been working with the 2.2.4 tarball and trying to build it on
|> i686-linux for an arm-linux target.  The special part appears to be that my
|> target is big-endian, and the arm tools by default are set up for little
|> endian.
|>
|> So, I did what I thought was the right thing and set up CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
|> appropriately and configured and made.  To get things to build properly, I
|> had to change some makefiles to look at some environment variables where
|> they weren't before.  Here are my settings:
|>
|>   CC=arm-linux-gcc
|>   CFLAGS="-msoft-float -mcpu=arm9 -mbig-endian"
|>   LDFLAGS="-Wl,-EB,-N -Wl,--oformat=\"elf32-bigarm\""

Couldn't you just configure your cross compiler for big endian?

|> - added $(ASFLAGS) to Makerules (lines 315, 317).  This one confused me.
|> Even after making CPPFLAGS=$CFLAGS and exporting it as I do for the other
|> variables, it doesn't seem like Makerules picks it up.

That's because Makeconfig is explicitly setting CPPFLAGS, thus the value
from the environment is ignored.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                  "And now for something
Andreas.Schwab@suse.de				completely different."