Re: [libc-alpha] linuxthreads bug in 2.2.4 under ppc linux

On Saturday 08 December 2001 14:02, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:
> Hi Kaz,
>
> If it matters, I tried an old binary of this executable that worked
> perfectly under under glibc-2.2.1 and tried it under glibc-2.2.4 and it
> fails in exactly this way.  I also tried rebuilding my code with -O0 which
> makes it harder to reproduce the problem but eventually it does happen.
> So the problem does not seem to be compiler or optimization dependent and
> does not happen under glibc-2.2.1.
>
> I have no idea how to proceed here.  But shouldn't there be a BARRIER
> (like an isync) at the end of __pthread_alt_unlock so that it is sure to
> be done updating its own data structures before possibly doing anything
> else (like beginning to be destroyed).
>
> Just a thought.  I am going to rebuild glibc 2.2.4 with debug and try to
> track this down further.  I don't want to have to go back to glibc-2.2.1
> unless that is the only way to keep working.

Just to clarify things, the RPM Kevin is testing is based on the
glibc-2-2-branch as of a few days ago, with:

2001-11-30  Andreas Schwab  <schwab@suse.de>

        * pthread.c (pthread_handle_sigcancel) [THREAD_SELF]: Double check
        that self is the manager thread, and initialize the thread
        register if not.
        (thread_self_stack) [THREAD_SELF]: New function to find self via
        stack pointer.

being the last entry in linuxthreads/ChangeLog.

Kevin, if you are rebuilding with debugging, you can also remove the
-DNDEBUG=1 in the spec, if we are lucky an assertion is triggered...

Franz.