Re: [libc-alpha] Re: [open-source] Re: Wish for 2002

On 9 Jan 2002, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Adding functions in common use is the *job* of
> glibc.

strlcpy and strcat are not in common use.  They are de jure
nonstandard, and de facto nonportable.

> The effect of systematically excluding new BSD functions will

If you think that there is some kind of systematic exclusion of BSD
ideas going on, based on anti-BSD prejudice, then you are simply seeing
things from a very twisted perpective. That perspective will not allow
you to see any technical, rational arguments.

On the contrary, I sense some BSD religious fervor coming from people
who want to push BSD functions onto everyone else.

Why should other systems adopt new BSD functions? Is it because
of the obvious supremacy of anything having to do with BSD or what?

> > I don't think they have been so far.
>
> Given that the function is necessary for some programs, the fact of

Can you name some of these programs?