Re: stdio.h and sys_errlist on i386-gnu

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:55:36PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I agree that declaring sys_errlist when we're not defining it is not good.
> Unfortunately, the only reasonable solution I can see off hand is making a
> new sysdeps header file just for this declaration (or I suppose we could
> add it to bits/stdio_lim.h).  i.e., either move the declaration to the new
> file (bits/errlist.h or something) or have the new file #define a macro
> like _HAVE_SYS_ERRLIST that libio/stdio.h tests.

I don't know this part of the C library too well, so I don't have an opinion
on how to do that.

> However, it also seems to me that libiberty is ill-advised to use the name
> sys_errlist for its own static variable.

Jeff is in contact with binutils people.  But we have found another package
that fails to build.  Openldap thinks sys_errlist is defined and tries to
use it in favor of strerror (I don't know why it thinks that is better, but
there you are).  I won't notice such things myself anymore, because I
removed that stuff from my local copy, so I don't know if there are even
more.

In other words, this is kind of important for us, and it would be good to
have a fix in the 2.2 branch.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de