Re: glibc aio performance

Don:

Thank you very much for your analysis.  I have a few questions.

I ran the suggested options on my Redhat 7.3 box, and got the following
results.  (I noticed that in your results, your second command line had -s
200M, but the report had 307200: maybe the 2 was just a typo in the email?)

% iozone -r 64 -s 300M -i 0 -i 1
KB  reclen   write rewrite    read    reread
307200      64   32881   32494    42239    43256
% iozone -k 32 -r 64 -s 300M -i 0 -i 1
KB  reclen   write rewrite    read    reread
307200      64   18548   19151    26866    26512

As you can see, the results are much better, but the AIO is still 30-40%
slower than the SIO.  (I re-ran the tests several times to try to iron out
timing anomalies.)  Do you think that thread setup, teardown, and overhead
accounts for this?  (I did try using just two threads, but did not get
significantly better throughput.)

Thanks in advance.

Amos Waterland

                      "Don Capps"
                      <don.capps2@veriz        To:       <libc-alpha@sources.redhat.com>, Amos P
                      on.net>                   Waterland/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                                               cc:       Thomas Gall/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
                      05/30/02 02:34 PM        Subject:  Re: glibc aio performance
                      Please respond to
                      "Don Capps"

Amos,

    I believe that this may be a case of pilot error :-)

    In the case where you ran
        iozone -i0 -i1 -k128

    You asked for Iozone to use POSIX async I/O and
    to use 128 async writes/reads of 4k and wrote/read
    a file that was 512 Kbytes in size.
    Thus.. there are 128 async read threads doing exactly
    one 4k operation.

    Let's look under the hood.
    If one spawns 128 async reads/writes then this is the
    equivalent of calling fork() 128 times and having
    the new process do a single 4k operation and then
    terminate. The overhead of creating the threads,
    and terminating the threads is eating your lunch.

    Here are some suggestions that you might find useful.

    Try using a file size that is much larger.
        Example: -s 300M
    Try using a transfer size that is larger.
        Example: -r 64
    Try using fewer async ops.
        Example: -k 32

    In the examples above the threads will do a more
    significant amount of work and they will be
    re-used many times before they terminate.

    There would be 32 threads and each thread will
    do 64 kbyte transfers. The total number of
    transfers will be 4800. Each thread will now
    do 150 ops before it terminates.

    Here is output from my Redhat  7.2 box.

    ./iozone -r 64 -s 300M -i 0 -i 1
      KB      reclen   write    rewrite    read    reread
     307200      64   37314   29174    28042    28057

    ./iozone -k 32 -r 64 -s 200M -i 0 -i 1
     KB       reclen   write    rewrite    read     reread
    307200       64   25793   30625    27376    27335

    Since the filesystem is on a single disk drive there
    is no advantage to the async operations. But, the
    result is well within reason.

    I don't believe that there is anything wrong with
    glibc or with Iozone but more of a case of getting
    what you asked for and finding out that the question
    was probably not a good one :-)

    The moral of the story is: If you are going to spawn
    a thread then it would be wise to have it do some
    significant work before it terminates.

    Hope this helps,
    Don Capps