Re: RPC and IPv6

On Thu, May 30, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Why is it necessary to use the completely different implementation?  Why
> not extending/fixing the current one?

We tried this already in the past: It is not possible to add IPv6
support to the old sunrpc code: The interface does not allow it.
All solutions we had where also not binary compatible and even not
100% API compatible. And the biggest disadvantage: We need to modify
the protocoll in a incompatible way, too. Which means, we would not
be able to talk to other OS like Solaris or FreeBSD/NetBSD with IPv6.

If it would be so easy, we would have a IPv6 ready RPC implementation
since two years.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE Linux AG        Deutschherrnstr. 15-19        D-90429 Nuernberg