Re: libintl: no way to use private message catalogs (resend)

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 11:05, Bruno Haible wrote:

> The security issue is already handled; namely in setuid/setgid
> processes the absolute pathnames inside LANGUAGE will be ignored. Do
> you see any other security issue?

It's not only setuid/setgid.  Just use a shell script (transparently or
not) which has the LANGUAGE set to some inappropriate value.  Maybe even
accidental.

There will be no such change.  It's too dangerous.  It all was
considered waaaay back when.  We are going to great length to check
translations in msgfmt and all this would be thrown away by allowing
arbitrary catalogs to be used.