Re: PDP-10 port

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:
> Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org> writes:
> > I believe it's desirable to (at least have the option to) use the
> > [PDP-10] floating-point formats.
> You can certainly do that if you want to write all the necessary
> code.  That is, there is lots of code that assumes IEEE format, yes.
> But there is nothing preventing you from writing alternate code for
> other formats.

I'm trying to do that.

One problem I've encountered is that a few files outside of sysdeps
include <ieee754.h>: math/test-misc.c, stdio-common/printf_size.c,
stdlib/erand48_r.c, strtod.c.  Would it be acceptable to abstract this
to a <float-format.h> include file?  For IEEE float machines, it could
include <ieee754.h>, and other machines could make their own
definitions.

The definitions needed in the include file seem to be unions with bit
fields for the float, double, and long double formats.  Instead of
ieee754_float, ieee754_double, and ieee854_long_double, perhaps the
union tags could be, say, float_format, double_format, and
long_double_format?

--
Lars Brinkhoff          http://lars.nocrew.org/     Linux, GCC, PDP-10,
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/    HTTP programming