Re: glibc: standard date/time format patch

On 2002-08-17 09:10:24 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
> > Eduardo Pérez Ureta <eperez@it.uc3m.es> writes:
> > > Sure, POSIX says so. But POSIX should follow International Standards
> > > instead American Standards.
> >
> > > I don't want my system following Standards that only apply to America.
> >
> > > POSIX should be corrected about that.
> >
> > The appropriate time to ask vendors to change is after POSIX has been
> > changed, I think.  It's better to comply with POSIX than to diverge from
> > it even if the divergence seems to make more logical sense.
> >
> > When you take up this issue with the POSIX working group, you'll discover
> > that they had good reasons for standardizing the date format that they
> > did, and also have some ideas about how to transition to more standard
> > international dates (basically by having users use locales more than they
> > do now).
>
> And there are, in fact, numerous other ways that the C locale
> isn't fully functional; the two most obvious being:
>
>  - The character set is ASCII. (So, many programs won't be
>    able to display 'Eduardo Pérez Ureta'! :-)

You are right. But, as the main pango programmer, you know that
there's a confusion between the terminal charset and the string encoding
charset. The program has to know in what charset the characters come and
in what charset the characters you should output. If you have the fonts
why can't you see accentuated Latin characters or Japanese text in the C
locale on a xterm.

Am I right?

>  - strcol() uses a nonsensical ordering.
???