Re: errno assignment problems

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 04:27:55AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>
> > If a non-pic compiled binary uses sys_errlist directly, the dynamic linker
> > is copying it into .bss of the program from libc.so and the sizes need
> > to match, otherwise you get:
> > %s: Symbol `%s' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
> > warning and as sys_nerrlist will contain the size of libc.so's errlist
> > while the copied one would be smaller, if the program does say
> > iterate over all values < sys_nerrlist, it will walk
> > into uninitialized area.
>
> You are over-emphasizing the problem.  No reasonable program uses
> sys_errlist.  No program we ever care about (with exceptions like rpm,

But a lot of programs are unreasonable :(.

> prelink, ...) uses static linking.  I something things s/he has to builg

This is not about static linking, the problem is when you have dynamically
linked binary using sys_errlist (and which is not compiled
with -fpic/-fPIC).
Following programs do so on my box ((null) distro):

/sbin/ibod
/sbin/mgetty
/sbin/mingetty
/sbin/portmap