Re: PATCH: Fix --enable-oldest-abi

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:05:16PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:32:51PM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 08:30:19PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > > Off hand that looks to me like it would definitely break the meaning
> > > of the third column in shlib-versions.  Have you verified that it doesn't?
> > > On whatever configuration you build, just hack shlib-versions temporarily
> > > to add a third column of GLIBC_2.3 to the libc=6 line and then verify
> > > that the build comes out with no other symbol versions.
> > >

> > I can't do that. I got
> >
> > version GLIBC_2.2.5 not defined for libpthread
>
> Is that with your changes or without?  This is in HEAD, right?
> I cannot reproduce any such problem in HEAD when I do what I described above.
> If you tried it with your changes and got that, then your changes are
> definitely broken.

It was a pilot error. But there is a real problem. We don't distinguish
the difference between the first ABI set in shlib-versions and the
first ABI set by --enable-oldest-abi. They are related, but not the
same. When we set the first libc version to GLIBC_2.3 in shlib-versions,
we want all versions before GLIBC_2.3 to be GLIBC_2.3. However, we
don't want to do that with --enable-oldest-abi. We need to find a way
to support both.

H.J.