Re: Adding unofficial languages support?

Jordi Mallach <jordi@sindominio.net> writes:

> What about languages with ISO 639-2 but no 639-1? Currently I see no
> such languages in localedata/locales.

The TP, at some point, was using "lug", until we recognized that "lg"
was assigned already - but ISO hadn't published that assignment.

> I'm asking this because another language I'd be interested to see
> supported is Asturian, which does have a code, "ast".

That should work with no problems.

> If there's no problem with that, where can I find documentation to find
> how to create a locale file for it?

locale(5) specifies the file format; you can find examples in
/usr/share/i18n/locales. Then you need to compile the locale with
localedef(1).

Initially, you don't need to have that locale be integrated with the
glibc distribution - you could provide a language pack that installs a
few files in the standard locations (locale data and mo files).

In the specific case for Aragonese, I'd suggest a procedure quite
similar to the one proposed by Keld:
- apply for a -2 code,
- create a locale definition using the code you've requested,
- build a language pack installing this locale,
- create a TP team for the locale (pointing out that the -2 code
  is not yet official),
- start assigning translators, and submitting translations,
- add translations to the language pack as they become available,
- when ISO assigns the code, perhaps rename the existing work,
  submit the locale definition to glibc, and submit existing
  PO files to the maintainers.

The TP would be happy to help in coordination if desired; we would
arrange to somehow mark the data unofficial until ISO has completed
the assignment.

Regards,
Martin