Re: openoffice 1.0.1 vs glibc cvs

Hi,

I realize it is futile to argue anything with Ulrich but for the record:

1. Blackdown is the only supported Sun JDK for PPC Linux
(although IBM does have a jdk 1.3.1 with no mozilla plugin
for PPC Linux)

2. I added the calls to __libcwait originally since the normal calls
were wrappered as pthread cancellation points and under Linux
threads only a parent thread gets a sigchild when a child exits
no matter how you block or enable signals in other threads.
Without this, no Linux platform JDK would pass the JCK
(we kept losing sigchild when pthread cancellation was enabled
in the receiving thread) which made us hang with forked processes
runing each of the JCK tests waiting to be reaped.

3. JDK 1.4 uses only the Hotspot VM and won't work with the
classic VM which we were able to use for JDK 1.3.1 which
means that getting JDK 1.4 on ppc Linux is not trivial at all
and will require a huge volunteer effort (Sun does not
support PPC Linux in any way) and since I am the only one
supporting JDK on PPC Linux at Blackdown, that means a
JDK 1.4 will not happen soon (overwhelmed with work on
OpenOffice.org)

So my only short term solutions are:

1. beg that those symbols be put back in

or

2. somehow be able to call waitpid and wait from a signal handler WITHOUT it being wrappered
by the pthread library and made a cancellation point.

So if there is a way to do that (please explain how), I will gladly
produce a JDK 1.3.1 for PPC Linux that will work with your latest
glibc version and thereby enable the Mozilla plugin and OpenOffice.org
builds on ppc Linux as well.

Kevin

----
Kevin B. Hendricks
Associate Professor of Operations and Information Technology
Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario
London Ontario, CANADA N6A 3K7
khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca