Re: openoffice 1.0.1 vs glibc cvs

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Jack Howarth wrote:
> > In any case, I don't see why everyone
> > is rushing to make __libc_wait and __libc_waitpid GLIBC_PRIVATE if
> > they are only exported for runtime resolution and not for linking.

> Because this is where the symbol belong.  Broken programs got a long
> enough period to adjust.  They (and their users) don't deserve any petty.

Why not change "configure" to "disable_GLIBC_PRIVATE" for those users who
still need to access old java like we do. We've many production servers
out there on java 1.18 that depends on "version `GLIBC_2.1.1'", and we
don't want to waste anymore time on investing old java technology, so
can't upgrade to java-1.3/1.4 which means we can't upgrade to newer glibc.

It'll be nice to be able to run both old/new java's on the same glibc ...
and the current problem is all due to these glibc versions being defined
by GLIBC_PRIVATE.

Jeff