Re: ldconfig bug (cvs head)

Roland McGrath wrote:
> You probably meant --exec-prefix= unless you want // at the start.

Yes, although the other works ok.

Are there any less obvious (than the ldconfig thing) reasons why --exec-prefix=/ is a bad idea? (Putting aside convention fot a moment)

Well, it's a bad idea if //lib and so forth were not the names you wanted
to consider canonical, and in practice noone ever wants to consider such
names the "right" ones but really intends /lib and so forth.  But I won't
presume to know what you really intend.  prefix and exec-prefix are "the
string prepended to /lib", so say what you mean and you get what you ask for.

Its suprising how many packages won't build if you leave --exec-prefix= blank.

findutils, pcre and mktemp for example. Thats the only reason I generally use / and not for any higher purpose ;)