glibc 2.3.2pre1

I've uploaded the first test release for glibc 2.3.2:

  glibc-2.3.2pre1.tar.bz2
  glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.2pre1.tar.bz2

in

  ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/glibc/snapshots/

In addition to file

  http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl/nptl-0.24.tar.bz2

exists.  This file provides an alternative, more modern, and soon
standard thread implementation for Linux x86 and S390 (I don't think the
kernel support for S390 is widely available, though).

The changes since 2.3.1 are numerous and are no mere bug fixes.
Significant changes all over the place have been made.  The ELF TLS ABI
has been implemented on numerous architectures.  The PPC32 ABI finally
got a thread register and the thread implementation therefore got more
stable and faster.  For more information about the changes consult the
NEWS file and if necessary the ChangeLog.

We believe the current sources are stable on all architectures.  This
test release is merely meant to confirm this.  We don't expect many
problems.  Compiling glibc requires, beside reading the documentation,
very recent tools.  gcc 3.2.1 and up are recommended wherever possible.
 The binutils known to work on Linux are 2.13.90.0.16.

The TLS interface has not yet been made the default (this will hopefully
be the last release, though).  To enable TLS support add the option
--with-tls to the configure command line.  To use the support for the
__pthread keyword in gcc (make sure support really exist) additionally
add --with-__thread to the configure command line.

Also important: *never* use the LinuxThreads and NPTL add-ons at the
same time.  Select the wanted add-on manually with the --add-ons parameter.

Please test this release and report success or to this list.

--
--------------.                        ,-.            444 Castro Street