--without-cvs

Could somebody explain what --without-cvs is used for?

I've started keeping a local rsync'd copy of the glibc archive, and
checking out a copy of the src from there. After a lot of messing about,
I found it needs --without-cvs in order to build successfully, where it
didn't when I was checking out directly from the sources.redhat.com archive.

I'm just curious to know what its for (Since I've wasted a few hours working out why only one of two seemingly identical libc directories would build... Identical, apart from some cvs control files that is)

I know its something to do with cvs and autoconf, but what exactly?

Thanks

Andrew Walrond