Re: use CPPFLAGS at configure time

> You've dropped CFLAGS from assembly commands.  This is wrong.
> Assemblers do optimize and generate debugging info, so CFLAGS must not
> be dropped.

As I said, I made it consistent with what the build does.  That was the
only intent of my change.  This consistency should be maintained.  If you
have problems with the current situation, then you should send patches to
both configure and the makefiles to change things consistently.

> There's at least one case that involves preprocessing and compilation
> that is using only LDFLAGS, not CPPFLAGS nor CFLAGS.

I just used my eyeballs, so I might well have missed some.
Please post fixes if you have them.

> You shouldn't be using ASFLAGS unless it actually makes it past
> configure time, but there's no AC_SUBST for it, so it doesn't work
> properly.

That is reasonable.  I probably had it in my mind that ASFLAGS was treated
like CFLAGS in configure and config.make.  It looks like ASFLAGS is not in
fact used except to pass -g options through.  It is probably ok to replace
ASFLAGS with CFLAGS throughout.

> CFLAGS must be used in every invocation of the C compiler, both those
> which do compilation and those which do linking.  This is straight
> from the GNU coding standards.

That is a reasonable thing to say, but LINK.o does not use CFLAGS.

> For assembling [...]
> Taking CFLAGS out in this case is wrong, very wrong.  Please put it back in.

Some particular options are passed for some of the assembler invocations,
via the ASFLAGS-.os and such variables.  The build does not use CFLAGS for
any assembler invocations.

As I've said, I made configure consistent with what the build actually
does.  That is the correct thing to do.  If there are problems now, there
were problems before and they were masked or are just different now.  You
have convinced me that it's reasonable to use CFLAGS in place of ASFLAGS.
Feel free to send a patch that does so consistently in the makefiles and
configure.  When using CFLAGS the ASFLAGS-.os variables in now sysdeps
Makefiles won't be needed to get -fPIC in place.