The Kernel Headers Issue

Hi

The current kernel headers -> glibc relationship is unclear. Kernel folk
keep on saying "don't include kernel headers in userspace". The glibc FAQ
says "The headers from the most recent Linux kernel should be used."

Clearly, there is some confusion here :-)

The failure to build glibc when using latest dev kernel headers is well
documented. I'm assuming the glibc developers (at least the RH guys) are not
seeing this failure because you are using the rawhide
"glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.18.src.rpm" package for your kernel headers. These
are the so-called "sanitized headers" maintained by Arjan.

Please, could a glibc developer make a definitive statement on which are the
correct headers to use? I have no problem using the sanitized headers if
that is the correct thing to do.

If it's decided that the latest current kernel headers are not to be used
then the FAQ will need to be amended and possibly the bits of configury that
go looking for "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include" will need to be
changed.

Thanks for your assistance.

Greg