Re: PATCH: Implement static dl_iterate_phdr

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:24:06PM +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 08:22:48AM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > IA-64 doesn't use the dummy static dl_iterate_phdr. Why isn't
> > sysdeps/generic/dl-iteratephdr-static.c an empty file? To go one
>
> Normal glibc behaviour is to supply stubs for functions declared
> in headers, but not supported. generic dl-iteratephdr-static.c
> might want to use stub_warning though...

In this case, it should be a link time error since it will never
work.

> > step further, why do other arches need dl_iterate_phdr for dynamic
> > binaries? Why not make dl_iterate_phdr an IA-64 only function?
>
> Because dl_iterate_phdr is heavily used on all arches for dynamic binaries
> and for -static on IA-64?
>
> > BTW, my user finds dl_iterate_phdr useful on other arches, but it is
> > kind of useless when it only works with dynamic binaries.
>
> Can you expand on why is it useless?

When you compile a .c file, you may not know if it will be used to
create a static or dynamic binary. To be reliable, I can't use
dl_iterate_phdr at all if it isn't available for static binary unless
I know it will never be the part of a static binary.

H.J.