Re: Permit libthread_db to work with a stripped libpthread

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:22:19PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> I accidentally broke thread debugging on Debian during the last glibc
> update; it turned out that the difference was that I now stripped
> libpthread-*.so.  The symbols libthread_db looks for were not dynamically
> exported, so nothing could be resolved.
>
> Is this OK?  While it does make some internal symbols available for linking
> (booooo!) they're marked GLIBC_PRIVATE.  I think they can be made unlinkable
> if that's necessary - compat_symbol, right?

Exporting 49 new symbols in .dynsym is IMHO very bad idea.
Using strip -g instead of strip is not that big difference.
Perhaps if you changed those 49 symbols into one new .dynsym symbol
(but done in some way to avoid growth of dynamic relocations if possible)...

	Jakub