Re: gcc3.3: problem compiling elf/soinit.c (int. compiler error)

Hi!

Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2004 15:27 schrieb Jeff Bailey:
> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 08:19, Hillier Gernot wrote:
> > With gcc-3.2, everything went fine, but with 3.3 I get an internal
> > compiler error at elf/soinit.c:
>
> Internal compiler errors are always gcc bugs, even if they're triggered
> by bad code.

Sure. gcc people will fix this ICE some day. They've only postponed it because
it's caused by bad code, they say, and therefore it has a low priority for
them...

But if there is bad code in glibc, it should be fixed here, no?

My problem is not that I need a toolchain - as I wrote this workaround worked
for me and I have one now.

I only wanted to report this to get it finally fixed in the right place *if*
it is a glibc-bug. I understand too less to decide who's right here...

> The best I can suggest is that despite the good reasons to
> run those particular version, you should at least run the most recent of
> the gcc 3.3 series.  Glibc exercises the compiler pretty heavily.

Well, my workaround fixes it for me and my toolchain works like a charm since
August. So I've no personal problem with it any more, I just wanted to heal
the world ;-)

But nevertheless thx for your ideas and recommendations!

--
Bye,

Gernot Hillier
CT SE 2