Results on i586-pc-linux-gnu, take 2

Hi.

Several days ago I'd mailed in the build results on my machine, and
during the 'make check' run there were numerous nptl failures. A reply
to my posting said that this behavior had been seen when compiling the
kernel with gcc-2.95. I'd been building my kernels with gcc-2.95, as
that compiler produced smaller kernels.

When the 2.6.4-rc2 kernel was released, I built it with my gcc-3.3.3
compiler, and have been using it. Yesterday I did a CVS update and
build, and the 'make check' results were _much_ better. There was a
single failure in the 'tst-clock2.out' test:

$ cat nptl/tst-clock2.out
clock gettime round 0 failed
$

Other than that, all the other tests passed. Yay!

I also made a slight change when configuring the build:

$ CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-mmx -finline-limit=100000" \
/opt/build/libc/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons=nptl \
--with-tls --with-headers=/mnt/src/linux-ajh/include \
--enable-kernel=2.6.3

Previously I had not used an '--enable-kernel' option. As I'm just using
the 2.6.X kernels now, I thought it makes more sense to build with this
option so the library can take advantage of the kernel features.

Art Haas

-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822