Re: Multi-threaded use of a file descriptor

On Friday 16 Apr 2004 12:13, Andrew Walrond wrote:

Thanks for various off-list replies.

For interested parties, this document goes some way to answering the question

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/read.html

"I/O is intended to be atomic to ordinary files and pipes and FIFOs. Atomic
means that all the bytes from a single operation that started out together
end up together, without interleaving from other I/O operations. It is a
known attribute of terminals that this is not honored, and terminals are
explicitly (and implicitly permanently) excepted, making the behavior
unspecified. The behavior for other device types is also left unspecified,
but the wording is intended to imply that future standards might choose to
specify atomicity (or not)."

Andrew Walrond