Problems building GLIB with NPTL

I'm trying to build the latest CVS version of GLIBC(5/5/2004).
 The first problem is the configure script is looking for
forced_unwind support, with requires linking in crt1.o which
does not exist yet.  Why does the configure script not check
the configuration of the glibc you are trying to compile
instead of looking at the current installed glibc for unwind
support i.e., /usr/lib/crt1.o.

If I just enable "libc_cv_forced_unwind=yes
libc_cv_c_cleanup=yes" then it compiles but I still wind up
with a missing libgcc_eh at link time.  I believe this is
because gcc was built without shared enabled see below. What
is the recommend way to cross compile this version of glib
with nptl support?  The steps below work just fine with
linuxthreads.

Crosstool-0.28-rc7:
1. Install the Linux 2.6.5 kernel headers
2. Build binutils
3. Install glibc headers
4. Build a static version of gcc
5. build glic with nptl enabled
6. build full gcc with shared and threads enabled

gcc 3.4.0
glibc 2.3.3cvs
binutils 2.15.90.0.3
linux 2.6.5