Re: obstack.c defines a variable that isn't used

Roland McGrath wrote:
> If we can ascertain an earliest possible version in which the obstack.h
> macros no longer used _obstack, then we should conditionalize the defn
> using SHLIB_COMPAT.

No, we cannot do this.  We can and should mark the symbol as a
non-default symbol so that future programs cannot link with it.  But the
use of the symbol in <obstack.h> (or lack of) is not sufficient for
adding SHLIB_COMPAT since if, for some odd reason, somebody has named a
symbol _obstack in her/his own code the definition could be used.  I
know, it's highly unlikely but still, the possibility exists and it
really isn't expensive to keep the definition.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â