Re: [patch] Matsushita AM33/2.0 port

Please see the prior thread here (came up with the Xtensa port) on what
this is about.  I think I addressed all your concerns in great detail there
already.

> As in, maintained outside the official tree?

Yes.

> This would be a pain, and a bit silly to maintain it at say
> sources.redhat.com alongside glibc.  Maybe just have it excluded from the
> libc CVS module by default, such that it doesn't affect those not
> interested in it?

It doesn't need to be a pain at all.  You can call it silly to have it
alongside glibc in the sources repository, but that distinction is
important to the core glibc maintainers and you will just have to humor us.
The intent is to have it be easy for users, yes.  The exact technical
details remain to be tweaked together, but it won't happen until someone
ponies up with the effort to make an add-on port happen rather than just
complain that we still haven't incorporated it into the main tree after
we've said that we wouldn't and that we would instead work with you to make
the add-on approach work well.

> Depends on the amount of work involved.

Plop all your new sysdeps tree files into an add-on directory, configure
--enable-add-ons=...,my-port-dir, and then start complaining about what
breaks.  I will help fix it.  Once having a port live in an explicitly
configured add-on works, I will tinker with some approaches to making a
canonical collection of add-on ports easy to use.

Thanks,
Roland