Re: Improved DNS resolving for laptops?

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 04:38, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Nix]
> > If you don't mind nonportability you could use fcntl (...,
> > F_NOTIFY,...)  to find out the instant resolv.conf is changed. (In
> > practice you'd probably just set a flag on notification and consult
> > the flag on next DNS lookup: rereading resolv.conf more often than
> > that is pointless.)
>
> This feature notifies the process using SIGIO (at least acording to
> <URL:http://linux.com.hk/PenguinWeb/manpage.jsp?name=fcntl&section=2>),
> so it is not very good to use in a library.
>
> Checking the file every 10 minutes or every 10000 lookup sounds like a
> good idea.  I wish glibc would do something similiar.

Consider a desktop application - I plug in my laptop at work - is
it useful if the resolve.conf changes are noticed 10 minutes later?

I think it's basically binary - apps get the change on the next
lookup or they are broken from the users point of view. Any mechanism
that implements something less than that isn't particularly useful.

Regards,
						Owen