Re: Do not report build errors in bugzilla

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 05:55:48PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > The FAQ may have this information buried in it, but not in a manner
> > that "Joe Sixpack" is going to bother to figure out.
>
> Then he should not try to build glibc.  If you would like to help make some
> of the requirements more clear, then that would be a fine contribution you
> could make to the community.  Start by figuring it out for yourself, from
> all the resources available.  The documentation and FAQs and such that talk
> about this may very well be out of date, inaccurate, or incomplete.  If
> they are ever going to be better, it will take your help.  There are myriad
> ways a person can go about figuring out what works in practice, and
> figuring out what other people like the well-known binary packagers in fact
> do that works for them.  Get on it.

For the record, I've started a project to assist those "do-it-yourselfers"
out there. The project has only just begun hence there is very little done
yet. I am fully aware of the Glibc developers stance on clueless types
building Glibc from source and will advertise the many drawbacks of being a
DIY'er and hopefully deter those silly enough to want to try. But for those
technical types who have legitimate reasons to build from source, we'll try
to help.

http://www.diy-linux.org/

Regards
Greg