[RFC] Strftime return value when S is a null pointer

Hi,

I'm working on a libstdc++-v3 problem report. In order to fix it properly, I must
be sure about the value returned by strftime when S is a null pointer. Indeed,
according to the glibc docs

   "If S is a null pointer, `strftime' does not actually write
    anything, but instead returns the number of characters it would
    have written."

and this is rather nice (not nice as snprintf, but, anyway). The problem is that I
cannot find in C99 anything *mandating* this specific behavior.

Is it a glibc specific feature? In case, as far as glibc is concerned, can we rely upon
it for all the recent, current (and, likely, future) releases?

Thanks in advance,
Paolo.