[regex] Speedup transit_state

These are the optimizations that I sent last March.  They have now survived sed 4.1's inclusion in several distros and the bug that appeared in glibc was found.  In addition I've split them to ease review and isolate any other bugs better.

This one optimizes transit_state to make it faster except when iswalnum has to be called, which is very slow anyway.

Ok?