Re: Glibc - getconf question

Jim Gifford wrote:
> I just wanted to verify something. That /usr/bin/getconf could be a
directory.

> The reason I asked, is that I was trying to do an LFS build using
> the 010305 snapshot and it created
> /usr/bin/getconf:
> POSIX_V6_ILP32_OFFBIG
> POSIX_V6_ILP32_OFF32

IEEE POSIX requires that the utilities
"shall be implemented in a manner so that they can be accessed via
the exec family of functions as defined in the System Interfaces volume
of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 and can be invoked directly by those standard
utilities that require it ( env, find, nice, nohup, time, xargs)."

There are exceptions for shell built-ins, but that is it.

-------------------
Mark Brown/Austin/IBM
STSM, UNIX/Linux OS Standards
IBM Systems Group, Linux Technology Center
bmark@us.ibm.com

Jim Gifford <lfs@jg555.com>
Sent by: libc-alpha-owner@sources.redhat.com
01/16/2005 01:47 AM