Re: forestalling GNU incompatibility - proposal for binary relative dynamic linking

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:55:57PM +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    With the same version of gcc, and glibc even - *without* the
>    patches that SuSE supplies.
>
> Then it is SuSE's fault that they apply patches that make things
> incompatible.  So go blame them instead.

I'm not 'blaming' anybody, just pointing out observations.

>    If your argument is that building glibc isn't for the faint of
>    heart and should be left to the experts, my question is why?
>
> Because it is a integral part of the system, it can break your system
> badly, it can make your system unbootable (due to a broken
> /lib/ld.so.1 or whatever), etc, etc.

Well of course, but my point is that's exactly why you should be
able to run two glibcs simultaneously on the same system.

Can I ask why this is such a hot-button issue?

Ed