Re: Supporting multiple gettext directories

Hi!

Roland McGrath [2005-03-21 23:56 -0800]:
> I don't see why you need additional directories to be search.  The "pick my
> modtime" thing (as opposed to a clear search path) is just not something
> we're ever going to consider.  Really, I can't see the motivation for this
> at all.  It seems like some packaging limitations making you think you want
> this.  Why can't your per-language packages install their files in
> /usr/share/locale?

Because this would conflict with any software users compile on their
own (which usually installs into /usr/share/locale/. In a
packaging-based system (RPM, DEB) you cannot just overwrite arbitrary
files, because they will get lost with the next package upgrade.

To avoid this undetermined behavior, we introduced the parallel
hierarchy in /usr/share/locale-langpack.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt               http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer    http://www.ubuntulinux.org