Re: [Bug libc/1005] putc() runs slower

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 11:23 -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Uttam Pawar wrote:
> > Following the proposed patch for to fix the performance issue while
> > using putc() in single threaded application.
>
> That's what putc_unlocked is for.

Agree. But, first, it's time consuming for the users to find and replace
(assuming they have source access, resources and knowledge of glibc) all
the putc() calls they used in their application with putc_unlocked().
Second, user has to remember to change back all the putc_unlocked()
calls to putc() if he/she/they decide to make their application
multithreaded in future.

And as we know that the "glibc" is a commonly used library (re-usable
code) to avoid or minimize modification of any sort to the application
code.

Doesn't it make sense to provide this provision (think as a work around,
which is also not a big messy change to the glibc) code base.

Regards,

- Uttam